Tuesday 15 June 2010

The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a... Well a hill!

I got back from Edinburgh this afternoon and I'd just like to say for the record seen as it was technically my first holiday in twenty years it was awesome!





We drove up on Sunday, taking what seemed to be the longest route possible for no reason other than ... That's what the sat nav told us to do! Took us up through the Yorkshire dales which were beautiful (I will use that word a lot today so get used to it) we hit several pockets of heavy rain on the way up which was kinda scary as visability was so low but was fantastically dramatic! It added to the excitement of my northern adventure.





When you get there you are greeted with some amazing architecture from a time long since past and some great modern design work. Then you turn a corner and come across a natural wonder which just blows your mind like the hill we climbed in holyrood park. The peak you see in the picture is not the top. We climbed all the way to the top of that 823ft tall sucker and if I'm honest, I feel more of a man for doing so. I was totaly frakked at the end of it but it was an amazing experience and I encourage anyone who is up that neck of the woods to do it!





When not mountaineering (yes I know it was a hill) we took in some culture, the national gallery (if I'm honest I was competely ignorant to everything in there. I do not read religeous subtext well and it was wasted on me) a pretty cool local pub up near the castle (forgot the name ...sorry!) and the castle itself. I had forgotten just how much I love castles, the whole concept of a castle excites me. The thought of building a structure to keep out anyone you dislike or would wish you dead is my idea of home security! I did enjoy being on two of the highest points in the city. In case of a zombie outbreak i'm headed up there for the high places!





The trip was capped off with a trek up to what became my favourite spot in the city Carlton hill, the site of the nelson monument and what I heard was an attempted and unsucessful recreation of the a Greek landmark (who's name also illudes me!) to watch the Sun go down over what is now my most favourite place! I spent less than 48 hours there and I fell in love with the place, I saw less than a fraction of the city and I fell in love with the place. If you are out there dream woman... We are moving to Edinburgh after the nuptials.

I can't tell you how amazing it was to visit the place. On the first night we found our way to the nelson monument and looked out over the city, the bay and holyrood park. At that moment I knew I could easily fit in there. That view said more to me about the amazing things in this world than anything else in I have seen in my life.

E-burgh (that's my name for her... It's okay, we're cool) you blew my mind. I must save up and do it again. Hopefully for longer than a day!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment